Surgical treatment: postoperative period
Surgery - the only way to get rid of varicocele guaranteed.
In order for recovery from varicocele surgery to be successful, it is important to follow all the recommendations of the attending physician, lead a healthy lifestyle and not neglect the diet.
Features of the procedure
Modern medicine offers several ways to get rid of testicular varicocele. The classic option is an operation performed in a hospital under local anesthesia.
The procedure according to Ivasevich and Palomo refers to open, through a small incision the testicular vein is ligated.
Marmar surgery involves small incisions in the scrotum or groin, through which damaged areas of the vessels are removed.
Then, a suture is placed on the wound, which must be removed when you visit the hospital again. The recovery period after the classical operation takes at least 1 month, with complications this period is extended.
Microsurgery - an alternative to classic resectionare performed with minimal incisions and the introduction of a laparoscopic tube. They are performed under local anesthesia, recovery period is designed for 2-3 weeks.
Another option for intervention does not require hospitalization and is performed on an outpatient basis. The affected vessels are treated with special devices, no incisions are made and no sutures are made, and none.
The patient leaves the hospital after 2-3 hours, the recovery period takes only a few days.
Varicacele treatment methods are shown in the video:
Rehabilitation lifestyle: what to look for
In the postoperative period of surgery on varicocele, the patient must strictly follow the recommendations of the attending physician.
With the classical technique, which implies cuts and suturing, bed rest is observed for 2-3 days.
With complications, the patient may stay in the hospital for a week. After examining the patient, they are discharged, disability remains for 2-4 weeks.
In the first days after the resection, food is limited, the patient receives very light dishes: cereals on the water, soups on the vegetable broth, steamed meat.
Movement activity is limited, to the patient It is not recommended to sit or stand for a long time, lean sharply, or lift weights.
About the rehabilitation period after surgery on varicacacel, see the video:
Recovery after varicocele surgery: what can and cannot be done
Average recovery after varicocele takes 1 month. At this time, the patient should carefully monitor his health, turning to the doctor in case of any doubts and ailments.
A very important point in the period of rehabilitation after varicocele surgery in men is proper nutrition. The patient should avoid constipation and other digestive disorders.dishes that irritate the stomach and intestines.
Fatty and fried foods, sweets, smoked meats and pickles, fatty meats, spicy sauces and seasonings are excluded from the diet. It is necessary to limit caffeinated drinks that cause fluid retention in the body. Instead of strong tea and coffee, it is better to drink homemade fruit drinks and compotes, green tea with soy milk, clean still water.
During the recovery period preferably 4-5 times a day, in small portions. Food should be freshly cooked and not too hot. The basis of the menu is boiled, stewed and fresh vegetables and fruits, dairy products, whole grain cereals with a small amount of vegetable oil, poultry, fish and seafood.It is important not to exceed the required calorie content, while food should be nutritious and easy to digest.
Drinking alcohol after surgery varicocele is strictly prohibited. During the recovery period, any alcoholic beverages are prohibited.including energy cocktails and beer. After the successful completion of the period of restrictions, small doses of alcohol are allowed (no more than 2 servings per week). The ideal option is a completely sober lifestyle. Ethyl alcohol causes a strong vasodilation, which can cause a relapse of varicocele after surgery.
Smokers are also at risk.. Nicotine, tobacco tar and combustion products inhibit blood flow, destroy the walls of blood vessels, making them vulnerable and causing a relapse of disease. With a complete cessation of smoking, the body recovers within a year, the risk of re-expansion of veins is significantly reduced.
What can not be done after surgery varicocele? Sex is not recommended for a month after surgery. In the absence of complications and minimally invasive surgical techniques, this period can be reduced to 3 weeks. It all depends on the individual condition of the patient. With normal libido, the patient's physical abilities are not limited. During the recovery period after varicocele surgery, masturbation is undesirable. The best option after the end of the rehabilitation period is classic vaginal sex with a constant partner, with understanding related to possible difficulties.
Can I do sports after varicocele surgery? Physical activity should increase gradually. How much can not do sports after surgery? In the first month, walks at a moderate pace, morning exercises, yoga, breathing exercises are allowed. Fiz. the load after varicocele surgery should increase gradually. In the future, you can visit the gym, swimming, running, martial arts and other options for sports. Overvoltage should be avoided throughout the year.: weight lifting, grueling training, team games with high traumatic risk.
Contrast dousing and other hardening procedures are best postponed. After the recovery period, the restrictions are removed, however, it is worth remembering that thermal procedures and hot baths can trigger a relapse of the disease.
With what you can not do after surgery varicocele, we figured out. We proceed to the next paragraph of our article.
You will learn how to behave after surgery on a varicacel from the video material:
Varicocele: features of the postoperative period
The only way to treat varicocele is surgery. The choice of surgical intervention and its methodology is determined by a qualified doctor. The opinion of the patient is also taken into account.
In the postoperative time, the patient is under medical supervision for a certain period. Regular blood tests allow you to track the healing process of wounds. In the early days it is advisable to avoid heavy physical exertion, bed rest is preferable. It is required to exclude tight clothes and hot baths, which affect the internal pressure in the genitals. After about a week, the discomfort should subside. In case of severe pain, analgesics are prescribed.
Types of operations
The choice of manipulations to remove the affected veins is wide. The typology of surgery for varicocele is stable for many years. The newest method for excision of dilated blood vessels is Marmar microsurgery. There are three main types of operational impact:
- Sclerotherapy - gluing the walls of problem vessels with a special solution. A method that does not require hospitalization is carried out under local anesthesia, in a medical office. Immediately after surgery, a man can go home.Based on the numerous reviews of doctors and patients, the effectiveness of this manipulation is quite low.
- An open operation performed by various methods (Marmara, Ivanissevich, Palomo, Endoscopy). First, an incision is made with a scalpel from below: in the abdomen or in the area of the epididymis. Then the dilated vessels are ligated, due to which the venous outflow is normalized. A scar remains, the length of which varies from 3 cm to 10, depending on the type of operation.
- Laparoscopic varicocelectomy. The basic principle of the procedure is the dressing of unhealthy veins. It is carried out using a special tube with a built-in lighting device and a camera. The process has a low morbidity and a low risk of consequences. Postoperative hospitalization lasts from 3 to 7 days, depending on the type of anesthesia chosen.
Recovery time after surgery varies according to the type of procedure. The longest rehabilitation period (up to two weeks) is after intracavitary manipulations, when the veins of the testicle are excised.
According to statistics, complications after varicocele surgery are observed in 10% of patients. They are divided into early and late, arising in a month or more. In the first days after surgery to remove the affected areas of blood vessels the following symptoms are possible:
- groin pain (pulling or sharp),
- small hematomas
- vernal discharge,
- hydrocele (dropsy of the testicle),
- swelling in the groin area
- temperature rise.
What are the consequences of varicocele surgery on the testicles? Late complications are: inguinal hernia, azospermia, changes in the size of the testicle. Cases of impotence after varicocele are not fixed.
Small hematomas are associated with subcutaneous hemorrhages resulting from damage to small vessels. They do not require treatment and resolve in 1-2 weeks. With sucrose discharge, it is necessary to monitor the condition of the sutures. Treating them with disinfectant solutions.
Swelling of the testis after surgery and an increase in temperature indicates stagnation of lymph inflammatory processes. Purulent wound compartments are sometimes noted. The patient is prescribed antibiotic injections.After 3-5 days, the complications completely disappear. Small painless edema without fever is a normal reaction of the body to surgery, they disappear for 2-3 days without special treatment.
If the left testicle hurts with varicocele after the operation, and the discomfort is given to the lower abdomen or sacrum - this indicates damage to nerve endings. Special treatment after surgery is not required, discomfort is relieved by anesthetics in the form of tablets or injections.
An infrequent but unpleasant complication is dropsy of the testicle after surgery. In the membranes, fluid accumulates, causing an increase in testicles in volume, an egg hurts and a feeling of heaviness. An accurate diagnosis is made after an ultrasound scan. Dropsy is treated with oral medications that regulate lymph outflow.
In this case, the doctor will determine where and when it will be necessary to undergo an additional examination, and then determine the methodology for further treatment.
In case if after the operation the varicocele veins remained. To clarify the diagnosis sperm analysis and dopplerography performed. Most often, the normal functioning of the remaining vessels is confirmed. If pathology is detected, a second operation is required.
Postoperative effects are shown in the video:
Likelihood of relapse
The minimum risk of developing a relapse of the disease, as well as other possible complications, is the Marmara procedure. The most serious consequences after varicocele surgery occur as a result of excision according to Ivanissevich and laparoscopy. Younger boys and adolescents are more prone to the secondary occurrence of the disease.Re-manifestation of the disease is also treated surgically. The absence of severe exacerbations after surgery largely depends on the qualifications of the doctor, careful observance of the technique.
Other possible consequences
With a high professional level of the doctor and patient compliance with all the rules during recovery, serious consequences are very rare. Sometimes, after surgical removal of the veins, minor deviations can occur, which will soon completely disappear without external intervention.
Here is a sample list of non-hazardous symptoms:
- swelling, swelling of the left or right testicle,
- aching pains and discomfort in the inguinal region, lower sides of the underbelly,
- the skin near the seam becomes reddish,
- isolation of the anemone from the wound,
- scrotum seal.
The above symptoms can not last a long time. Usually disappear spontaneously, without special treatment.
It is worth worrying if the following complications are observed after varicocele surgery:
- a sharp increase in body temperature,
- the occurrence of bleeding,
- wound infection
- swollen belly
- severe swelling of the scrotum on the left, dropsy of the testicle (hydrocele),
- recurrence of varicocele, appearing immediately or after some time,
- male infertility
- pain in the right kidney.
After surgery, the veins often take their normal shape and become subtle.
Life after surgery
When the varicocele operation is behind, what awaits the man in the postoperative period, experts will tell. At the end of the hospital stay, the patient continues to be under the supervision of a urologist.
Over a period of time, the patient must undergo a preventive examination three times:
- 3-4 weeks after healing,
- six months later
- after 18 months.
The attending physician gives recommendations for taking anti-inflammatory drugs, clarifies the regimen of sexual activity, physical activity, gives advice on diet. Recovery of testicular function is checked by spermogram results.
About the timing of the recovery period
The recovery period after varicocele surgery may vary in duration, depending on the method. With abdominal intervention, rehabilitation is from one week to 20 days. Microsurgical manipulation is characterized by a short postoperative period (two days). Suture threads usually resolve quickly. If the material is not self-decaying, then to remove it you will have to visit the treatment room after about 7 days. The general recommendation is to maintain gentle treatment for three weeks. Doctors advise to exclude any load on the legs for the next 48 hours. With some types of surgical intervention, a suspensory is required - a special bandage.
Many patients who have undergone surgical treatment are interested in what should not be done after varicocele surgery. At the end of the procedure for removing the enlarged vein, strength training, bodybuilding, weight lifting are prohibited. Such exercises dramatically increase intra-abdominal pressure, which can trigger a relapse of the disease. It is advisable to eliminate or minimize horse riding and cycling during the year. However, light physical activity, with a gradual increase, bring only benefit.
Intimate life and conception of a child
The first few days after treatment can not have sex and masturbation. Usually, after 3-4 weeks, the doctor "gives the go-ahead" to restore intimate life. At first, during the process of sexual intercourse, small painful sensations may remain. This discomfort does not require special treatment and goes away on its own. Surgical intervention does not affect erectile function.
Dutch scientists conducted relevant studies and found that out of 100 women, only 32 became pregnant in the first time after curing a varicocele from a partner. Testimonials of the remaining subjects testified to the impossibility of fertilization.
In some cases, a special diet is required in the postoperative period. In each individual case, the rules for eating are developed by the attending physician. If there are no special indications, it is necessary to adhere to the basic principles of sparing nutrition: you can not eat fatty and spicy foods, drink alcoholic beverages. Gastronomic restrictions should be considered during the entire rehabilitation period.
After any type of surgical intervention, a course of antibacterial drugs is prescribed to the patient. This is done to prevent the development of infection (laser correction is an exception). Medicines are selected by a specialist depending on many indicators: age, body weight, and the presence of complications. To improve the state of blood vessels in the testicles, it is good to drink such medications as Agapurin, Trental, Arbiflex. Often prescribed venoprotectors: "Eskuzan", "Detralex", "Ginkgo biloba." Additionally, blood-thinning agents may be prescribed: Thrombo ACC, Heparin, Cardiomagnyl. The listed drugs have many contraindications, therefore self-medication is unacceptable.
General recommendations for the prevention of complications
Prevention is carried out not only to prevent the initial development of varicose veins. In order to exclude relapse of varicocele and other postoperative complications, doctors also recommend that you follow some rules:
- stick to a balanced and balanced diet,
- eliminate possible stool disorders (constipation, diarrhea),
- practice regular sex,
- Avoid physical overwork
- sleep no less than 8 hours a day,
- maintain normal body weight
- do not touch cigarettes and alcohol,
- reduce the proportion of stress at work and at home.
Moderate physical activity (athletics, for example) positively affects the recovery of forces and can accelerate the return to the previous regime. Many men are embarrassed once again to seek advice from a urologist. This is an abnormal behavior that is fraught with health problems. Any disease is easier to prevent, and a routine examination will help early detection of pathology.
Varicocele is a serious disease that should be treated promptly. Otherwise, pathology can lead to complications: infertility and impotence. Half the success in treating this ailment depends on the speed of diagnosis. When it starts to hurt in the groin, during movement or at rest, it is important not to ignore the possible symptoms and not to delay the treatment. The strategy and tactics for combating the disease are developed only by a qualified doctor. Self-medication in this case is not appropriate.
The presence of the disease does not affect the draft in the army. The decision on release is made by the commission of the military enlistment office, based on the stage of pathology, the degree of manifestation of characteristic signs. Therefore, one should not have high hopes for an ailment, as the reason for deviation from conscription. It is better to get rid of the disease as soon as possible, and deal with the "civic duty" "as you get it."
Pain after varicocele surgery, temperature and other symptoms
Any kind of operation leads to discomfort during recovery
The speed of recovery after surgery is determined by the methodology for its implementation. For example, after laparoscopy, the patient recovers quickly enough. Any kind of operation leads to discomfort during recovery. This is due to damage to the soft tissues and the structure of the vessels during the removal of varicocele.The consequences after surgery are natural and pathological. The first include:
- pain in the groin,
- swelling of the tissues
- scar formation at the site of the incision.
The soreness should become less intense. If this does not happen, you need to consult a doctor for advice. An increase in body temperature is the physiological response of the body to the intervention. When it appears, it is important to exclude the presence of an inflammatory process by passing appropriate tests.
Swelling is an individual reaction of the body. Do not confuse it with dropsy of the testicle. In the first case, the tumor gradually subsides, and with dropsy, it grows and is accompanied by severe pain. The early postoperative period is characterized by a slight isolation of the anemone from the suture area, redness of the skin surface and the formation of a hematoma. With proper care, these signs disappear within 4-5 days after surgery.
The main complications
One of the most common complications is relapse.
Problems in the postoperative period arise with a violation of the technique of surgical intervention. Deviations are possible as a result of constriction of the vessels of adipose tissue, affecting the hypogastric or muscle veins, the implementation of an excessively narrow incision. Due to the last violation, the clip fixing the vein is rejected. The following are the pathological complications after varicocele testis surgery
- Lymphostasis Occurs as a result of accidental vascular damage during surgery. To eliminate the pathology, wearing a bandage is required.
- Hormonal disorders. They provoke damage to the appendages during surgery. Most often there are problems with the production of testosterone. Deviations are eliminated with the help of medications.
- Migration of sclerosing substance. The cause of the complication is pulmonary thromboembolism. The development of the pathological process is indicated by shortness of breath and a sharp decrease in pressure. After detecting these symptoms, you must take the man to the hospital.
- Pain They are provoked by excessive tension of the veins, as a result of which the sensitivity of the nerve endings is disturbed. Over time, the pain goes away as the suture heals. If this does not happen, an examination is required to determine the cause of the pain syndrome.
- Dropsy testicle. It occurs when fluid accumulates in the scrotum. Pathology is accompanied by pulling pain. The problem is solved by the operation to remove accumulated fluid.
- Testicular atrophy. Pathology can be suspected by a sharp change in the size of the organ. Atrophy is the result of damage to the seminal artery during surgery.
One of the most common complications is a relapse of the disease. Each type of surgical intervention has a certain percentage of probability of the return of the pathological process. In the case of traditional surgery, it is 40%, with endovascular treatment - 15%, laparoscopy - up to 10% and microsurgical surgery - no more than 2%.
The consequences after varicocele surgery after many years
The likelihood of relapse several years after surgery is too low
The consequences of surgery can not immediately appear, but over time. Therefore, men who underwent surgery to remove varicocele should be regularly observed by a urologist. Postponed postoperative complications include azoospermia and a change in testicle size. Such consequences arise if the operation was carried out before puberty.
Sometimes a disease affects the process of spermatogenesis. A man learns about a bad spermogram as part of an examination before conceiving a child.In the absence of signs of testicular atrophy, the situation is corrected with the help of drugs.
The likelihood of relapse several years after the operation is too small. But some men face this problem repeatedly. The provoking factors of the pathological process include bad habits, a sedentary lifestyle and an irregular sex life. Men at risk are advised to pay close attention to their reproductive health.
Types of Surgery
The risk of certain complications after varicocele surgery largely depends on the chosen method of surgical intervention for the treatment of this pathology. Thanks to modern techniques, it is possible to minimize the occurrence of unpleasant consequences, however, unfortunately, it is impossible to completely defend against them.
- laparoscopic intervention,
- microsurgical operations,
- X-ray endovascular surgery,
- open operations.
The laparoscopic surgical procedure is highly effective and is considered less traumatic. During the intervention, you can determine the number of branches of the testicular veins, perform a resection without touching the artery, which makes relapse impossible. Patients are discharged the next day.
A microsurgical operation is performed using local anesthesia and does not take so much time in duration, it is characterized by high efficiency, however, certain relapses and complications are possible. For this type of intervention requires special equipment.
X-ray endovascular surgery is characterized by the fact that it requires x-ray control, however, it is not very effective and various complications arise.
Open operations are considered traditional, but they are characterized by high morbidity, an increased frequency of complications and the occurrence of various relapses. The recovery process is quite long and complicated.
Dangerous signs requiring medical attention
After the operation to remove varicocele in men, the rehabilitation process follows. It requires special care on the part of the patient and medical personnel. The development of complications is indicated by the appearance of the following symptoms:
- purulent discharge from the seam area,
- high body temperature,
- throbbing pain at the incision site,
- the appearance of severe edema,
- persistent redness in the testicle,
- general weakness and malaise,
- resizing of the scrotum.
In rare cases, the nerve endings of the inner thigh are randomly affected during surgery. This leads to numbness or decreased sensitivity in this area.
3-6 months after surgery, it is necessary to undergo a study to determine the quality of seminal fluid. Low rates of analysis indicate that the operation was not effective enough. In this case, it needs to be repeated. In some cases, medications that stimulate spermatogenesis are required.
To prevent the development of complications, it is necessary to follow the recommendations of the surgeon
The dangerous effects of varicocele surgery are rare. The effect of varicocelectomy on reproductive health is mostly positive. Compliance with surgical techniques by doctors provides a positive outcome for the operation. The patient's task is to periodically visit the urologist and follow his recommendations.
What can be the complications after surgery?
Many patients are interested in why surgery is dangerous and what complications after varicocele surgery may occur. One of the most common complications is scrotal lymphostasis.This disease is characterized by an increase in the half of the scrotum that underwent surgical intervention. The main reason for such a violation is ligation or trauma of blood vessels. Soreness and swelling occur on the first day after surgery.
Possible complications after varicocele surgery include enlarged or atrophied testicles. These are quite dangerous, but rare consequences. They are associated with damage or ligation of the spermatic cord.
Most often, it is in childhood that complications and relapse after varicocele surgery are observed. Rehabilitation in this case must necessarily be aimed at eliminating existing problems and fully restoring the functions of the penis. In adults, problems such as thrombophlebitis, perforation of the walls of blood vessels and the plexiform plexus can be observed.
How to avoid relapse?
If you do not follow a diet, bad habits and wrong lifestyle relapse of varicocele is almost inevitable. Other vessels that feed the testicles are affected, and the disease can progress at an accelerated pace.
If the operated patient complies with all the doctor’s prescriptions, the recovery period passes without any problems. Fertility in infertile men is restored within a year. The period of remission lasts at least 10 years., in many cases, the patient manages to completely restore health and not recall the problem with veins.
The main thing is compliance with all doctor's recommendations, which will help prevent relapse of this disease, but also help to avoid other ailments of a similar nature: varicose veins of the extremities, hemorrhoids, inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs. It is advisable to adhere to the chosen lifestyle for as long as possible, over time, restrictions will become a habit and will not cause discomfort.
Recommendations of doctors after after surgery on varicocele
Operations to remove varicocele in men are often enough, because this is the only way to completely get rid of the disease. In order for the procedure to bring the desired results, the patient himself must contribute to this by fulfilling all the recommendations of the doctor during the rehabilitation period. However, all the nuances cannot be foreseen, therefore with serious problems, for example, if after the operation the varicocele veins remained the same as before, it is necessary to consult a treating specialist.
What to expect after surgery
Today, there are several main types of surgery for varicocele: the method of Ivanissevich, Palomo, Marmara, as well as laparoscopy and sclerotherapy. With any of these interventions, in addition to sclerotherapy, both general and local anesthesia are possible. Doctors try in most cases to apply local anesthesia, if possible, to conduct the operation more efficiently and to exclude some complications associated with general anesthesia.
If local anesthesia has been used, the patient may be allowed to go home within a few hours after the operation, otherwise observation in the hospital for a day or more may be necessary.
Before discharge, the doctor should prescribe medications that promote rapid healing and, if necessary, painkillers. Also, the specialist should give recommendations that will allow faster recovery after surgery.
The man should be warned about what can not be done after the intervention, so as not to damage the seam and not cause complications.
Most often, within 1-2 weeks, the patient observes the following side effects:
- scrotum pain
- redness and swelling of the skin,
- small bruises
- a small amount of pink or transparent discharge from the wound.
Such symptoms cannot be called complications, since this is a normal reaction of the body to stress, which is the operation.If negative manifestations are observed for too long or interfere with normal life, you should consult a doctor.
Recommendations for the rehabilitation period
Rehabilitation after undergoing surgery to remove varicocele in men can last differently. It all depends on the individual characteristics of the body, its ability to regenerate, the severity of the disease and the chosen method of surgical intervention.
For example, traditional methods - Ivanissevich and Palomo - require 7-10 days of rest after the procedure, and recovery after operations using advanced techniques may take only a couple of days. As a rule, upon discharge, the doctor writes out a sick leave for the patient to be relieved of work.
In older patients, recovery takes longer than in young people.
In any case, whatever the procedure, it is advisable for the man to stay in bed for the first 2 days after it to allow the wound to heal in a short time. During this period, it is better not to wet and not to overheat, so as not to cause complications. In addition, within 7-10 days after the intervention, doctors do not advise:
- subjected to heavy physical exertion,
- lift weights
- have sex
- visit the bathhouse, sauna or pool,
- walk for a long time.
In some cases, after surgery on varicocele, painkillers are required throughout the rehabilitation period. Also, the doctor may prescribe a wound treatment with an antiseptic solution or ointment with a similar effect.
If non-absorbable material was used for suturing, the man will need to visit the hospital to remove them. You will also need to be regularly observed by a radiation doctor - a month, six months and a half years after the intervention.
At scheduled examinations, the urologist gives direction to take tests to track the dynamics, if any. The doctor also gives recommendations about lifestyle and preventive measures to prevent relapse. A set of exercises is selected for quick recovery after surgery, if necessary, massage and physiotherapy are prescribed.
With varicocele, the postoperative period usually goes smoothly, serious complications arise in exceptional cases. It is impossible to predict all possible consequences, but there are some of the most common alarming situations that may arise after surgery. Among them, the following complications are distinguished:
- Hydrocele (dropsy of the testicle). This pathology is characterized by overflow of cavities between the tissues of the testis with lymphatic fluid, while it can increase in size. In most cases, a hydrocele occurs after an operation according to the Ivanissevich method, since during it you can inadvertently bandage a lymphatic vessel.
- Fever. If a man has a high temperature for several days after surgery, this may indicate an infection and the development of the inflammatory process. Purulent discharge from the wound, swelling around it, an enlarged testicle in size, and other related symptoms can also confirm this. With such a complication, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
- Hormonal disbalance. In the testes, the male hormone testosterone is produced. After surgery, its level can be changed both up and down, which will negatively affect all body systems, even the psycho-emotional sphere will be affected.
- Veins have not decreased. Comparing the condition of the testicle veins with varicocele before and after surgery, some men notice that the situation has not changed. According to the results of the surgical intervention, there should still be some changes in the state of the veins, so the lack of dynamics may indicate a relapse.
- Enlarged testicle.If after the operation the varicocele enlarged testicle, this may indicate an injury received during the procedure, resulting in a hematoma. If the testicle is greatly increased in size over a long time, and there is a painful sensation, you need to contact a urologist.
Many men agree to undergo varicocelectomy to avoid infertility, which can develop in the final stages of testicular varicose veins.
Unfortunately, to date, surgery does not provide an absolute guarantee of fertility recovery. If after the intervention the indicators have not improved, the doctor should give recommendations for further action.
Other rehabilitation recommendations
In order to recover faster after varicocele, the patient must adhere to a healthy lifestyle. If for the first two days it is better to stay in bed, then after that it is necessary to give the body feasible loads. It is advisable to go for short walks in the fresh air, gradually apply a set of exercises.
Also, some patients may be prescribed a diet that focuses on eating foods low in fat and carbohydrate. For this, a man should use mainly the following products for a certain time:
- boiled rice
- boiled, baked or steamed chicken,
- dairy products,
- unlimited number of fruits and vegetables in any form.
In some cases, shortly after surgery to remove varicocele in men, problems with stools may appear. This is a completely normal phenomenon, which should not be shy or scared. In order to prevent constipation, which can lead to excessive pressure on the pelvic organs and, as a consequence, the development of relapse, an enema or laxative as prescribed by the doctor can be used.
Despite the prevailing opinion, after the operation for ligation of the enlarged testicular vein, the male sexual function does not suffer.
Potency remains at the same level as before surgery. On the contrary, the painful sensations that could arise during sexual arousal and directly during the late stages of varicocele development will gradually disappear, and intimate life will return to its previous course. However, sexual contact should be avoided during the first three weeks to allow the body to recover completely.
Too frequent agitation can adversely affect the results of treatment, so a man should refuse masturbation. In addition, before discharge or during routine examinations after surgery, the doctor should give the patient recommendations regarding the optimal frequency of sexual intercourse.
After surgical treatment of varicocele, young people can be given a deferment from the army for up to six months. As for playing sports, you can usually return to them no earlier than after a month, and the loads should be increased gradually, starting with the lightest.
Bodybuilding and other sports involving weight lifting are prohibited.
If you follow all the doctor's recommendations, you can avoid possible complications and relapses. Repeated surgery to remove varicocele will have more negative consequences.
Basic principles of recovery after varicocele surgery
Varicocele is a disease characterized by varicose veins around the testicle. At the same time, a person often feels pain, discomfort in the groin, and the temperature at the location of the problem may also increase. In addition, the spermogram shows a decrease in sperm counts, which may ultimately cause problems with conception.
That is why doctors recommend patients to resort to surgical healing. In order to prevent relapse after surgery, it is important to correctly follow the recommendations for recovery.
Methodology of Palomo and Ivanissevich
During this operation, pathologically altered veins overlap due to a small incision in the abdominal cavity.
Subsequently, the doctor prescribes pain medications to the patient, and also uses an ice compress, which is applied to relieve swelling and reduce pain.
To reduce the risk of an inflammatory process, your doctor may recommend using antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Such operations are rarely performed, since there are more modern techniques.
The recovery period after surgery for varicocele is carried out in a stationary urology department and on average it is 7-14 days.
- During the first 3-5 days, the patient should observe bed rest, since it is not recommended to move a lot,
- To support the testes in limbo, it is recommended to wear a suspension - a special dressing that provides fixation of the scrotum,
- If the operation with varicocele did not cause any complications, then the seams are allowed to be removed on the 7th-9th day and from that time the doctor allows more movement,
- During the first two weeks after discharge, it is necessary to limit physical activity. It is forbidden to play sports and have sex,
- The first month, you can’t categorically lift more than 10 kg, because seams can open and relapse can occur.
Laparoscopy and embolization of the testicular vein
In this case, for operation with varicocele, special mini-cylinders, spirals or special suspensions are used. The surgeon makes a small puncture through which the sclerosant is injected. Surgical intervention is performed under local anesthetic.
Observe the patient subsequently for 6-10 hours, and then you can go home. The duration of rehabilitation is no more than 1-2 weeks. To monitor the patient's condition after surgery on varicocele, it is necessary to be observed by a urologist and cardiologist.
Recovery after varicocele surgery includes the following rules:
- When conducting laparoscopy for rehabilitation, hospitalization for 2-5 days is possible,
- The doctor after surgery recommends taking painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, as well as antibiotics,
- To maintain immunity, immunostimulants or vitamins are prescribed,
- Going in for sports is allowed no earlier than after 2-3 weeks.
If the operation is carried out correctly, there are no relapses and complications, then subsequently the spermogram returns to normal and pregnancy becomes possible. This happens on average after about six months.
When carrying out microsurgical intervention with varicocele, a special microscope is used, which avoids damage to the lymphatic vessels, dropsy and other complications. The surgeon gets to the vessels through the outer ring of the inguinal canal. The incision is usually no more than 2 cm, so a small scar remains. Intervention is carried out under local anesthesia for 30-60 minutes.
After a couple of hours, the patient can go home, but most often the doctor is recommended to remain under observation for 8-10 hours. To reduce the risk of complications, antibiotics and non-steroid drugs are prescribed. In addition, during the rehabilitation period, intense physical activity should be avoided for at least the first week. Recovery usually takes no more than two weeks.
Basic rules for recovery after varicocele surgery
In addition to these tips, there are general recommendations that are important to consider in order to avoid complications and relapse of varicocele.
After surgery, the patient sometimes feels a slight pain in the groin area for 3-6 weeks.Bruises appear in the scrotum and groin, and also these areas look swollen. Similar problems will disappear after 3-4 weeks. In some cases, on the recommendation of a doctor, you have to wear a special sports bandage for a couple of weeks.
It is recommended to take walks in the fresh air, as this stimulates blood circulation. Subsequently, for resorption of the stitches, you do not need to use an ointment with antibiotics, because everything will go away by itself in 4-6 weeks.
When the operation was performed, the patient is recommended to lie in bed for the maximum amount of time on the first day. It is important to rest immediately after a feeling of fatigue.
Subsequently, a surgical operation with varicocele for a short period of time, a little pink liquid may stand out from the incision, this is considered the norm. If pain is felt, then it is allowed to use cold compresses, for example, ice is applied to the affected area, which should be wrapped with a cloth. The duration of the procedure is no more than 20 minutes.
After the operation, many men are interested in whether it is possible to masturbate and have sex. Doctors are united in this matter - such actions during rehabilitation are prohibited, but subsequently, sexual life will return to normal.
What can not be done after varicocele surgery:
- During the first day, it is recommended to avoid even minimal loads and sudden movements,
- The first two days, it’s important not to wet or remove the bandages applied to the incision site,
- At first, it is recommended to avoid strenuous activities, for example, cycling, power load. Aerobic exercise is prohibited for at least three weeks and only after the permission of the doctor,
- In the postoperative period for five days it is forbidden to take a bath.
Many are interested in another topic - what can I eat after varicocele surgery? So, nutrition during the rehabilitation period should be aimed at reducing the risk of constipation. Fiber-rich foods, such as vegetables, fruits, and cereals, can do just fine with this task.
In addition, doctors say that nutrition should be vitamin. The best option is a Mediterranean diet. It is recommended to completely abandon alcohol for this period, since it dehydrates the body and causes constipation.
Subsequently, in order to make sure that the wound has healed, and there are no unpleasant complications, it is important to undergo a follow-up examination. If you follow all the recommendations of a doctor, then you can count on a successful and short recovery period after removal of varicocele.
From practice it is known that the pronounced symptoms of varicocele are observed in young men of draft age and in mature men.
With an asymptomatic course of the disease, its diagnosis is possible only at the time of a medical examination, since there is no pain and general discomfort. Such a process is far from safe, as it can lead to the diagnosis of infertility.
The following changes in the state of health precede the operation:
- during physical exertion, sports, during intercourse, fast walking, the pain increases sharply,
- one of the testicles fell below the average acceptable level,
- the testicle has significantly decreased in size (at least 20%), while the pain in the scrotum, lumbar region is disturbing,
- vascular deformity becomes noticeable, testicular consistency changes,
- sperm deteriorates, as seen in the spermogram.
An enlarged scrotum is usually noticeable in the upright position of the body. But with the advanced stage of varicocele, it is obvious in any condition.
It is important to seek qualified help in a timely manner, otherwise the consequences of the pathology may be irreversible (infertility).
The main types of operations
In modern medicine, it is customary to use several techniques to eliminate the described pathology, the period and features of recovery after surgery will directly depend on the characteristics of each of them.
- Open surgery involves dressing the affected vein of the testicle, which prevents its subsequent increase in size. This stops the movement of blood through the deformed channels. It is currently used in practice infrequently, because it can lead to complications in the form of hydrocele, relapse is possible. A protracted rehabilitation period.
- A microsurgical operation is performed with a sharp deterioration in the patient's condition, when there are complaints of a sharp pain syndrome in the place of the testicle, groin, scrotum, and the spermogram shows a poor result.
- Endoscopy is a procedure in which there is a minimal degree of tissue injury in an area with pathological changes. Such a varicocele operation is allowed to be carried out simultaneously on 2 testicles. The recovery period is short.
- Operation with mini-access is indicated in the absence of a sharp deterioration in health. With this operation, an abdominal wall incision is not performed, respectively, and recovery takes place as soon as possible. As for complications, hydrocele is extremely rare.
The first and important factor affecting the duration of rehabilitation after surgery is the age of the man. The features of the selected treatment method are taken into account.
If an operation is performed according to Palomo or Ivanissevich, in which a vein is excised, the recovery period may be delayed up to 3 weeks or more.
The specific time of recovery directly depends on the development of a possible complication in the form of hydrocele, the need for repeated treatment, taking painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs.
Endovascular treatment involves the blockage of dilated vessels using special devices (cylinders, spirals).
Full or partial recovery occurs within a few days after the procedure.
Microsurgical surgery is convenient in that the patient's well-being improves markedly by 2 to 5 days. It all depends on the exact implementation of all the doctor’s prescriptions during the rehabilitation period.
The overall positive dynamics of recovery depends on the absence of puffiness and pain, the appearance of dropsy in a problem place. It is very important to improve the performance of spermogram.
What is forbidden to do after varicocele
This operation entails the observance of certain rules that will help to get better soon and return to a full life:
- A man must not do any work for 24 to 48 hours.
- Exercise after varicocele is contraindicated, minimal postoperative activity is indicated.
- After surgery, it is not permitted to wet or remove a sterile dressing.
- It is not required to independently use and process the seam with ointments containing antibiotics, if there are no direct instructions from the attending physician.
- Depending on the type of treatment chosen for varicocele, a minimum of 5 to 10 days must pass before the patient is allowed to perform basic physical exercises, sports, and have sexual intercourse.
- Weightlifting, long running, cycling, equestrianism, aerobic exercise to prevent contamination of the suture are contraindicated.
- It is advisable to limit hot baths for 5 to 7 days.
Features of rehabilitation at home
Even if the patient has had a good surgery and feels satisfactory on the very first day, he should spend the maximum time in a supine position.
At the slightest fatigue, complete rest and maximum inactivity are shown.Long recovery is facilitated by a prolonged sleep.
After 2 to 3 days, short walks in the fresh air are recommended. This strengthens the immune system, prevents the formation of unwanted constipation after surgery varicocele.
As for the diet, it may include products familiar to men. For indigestion, it is recommended that you take soft foods that contain a small amount of fat.
This is dairy products, chicken, boiled rice, fresh vegetables, fruits.
In the recovery period after varicocele, patients complain of irregular bowel movements. It is important to establish the gastrointestinal tract as soon as possible, since stress during bowel movements can cause pain and discomfort. In some cases, the attending physician prescribes a mild laxative.
In the first few days after surgery, the suture may “ooze”, releasing a pinkish liquid. This is normal, but it is necessary to notify the doctor of this state of affairs.
Perhaps the appointment of additional drugs for external use.
A cold compress or ice, which is applied for 10 - 15 minutes, no more, reduces pain well after surgery in the inguinal region.
Be sure to have a soft cloth between the skin and the compress.
Regular examination and compliance with all the instructions of the attending physician will be a key part of the speedy recovery after varicocele. With the slightest deterioration in well-being, a trip to a medical facility is inevitable.
Complications after surgery
The main surgical risks include infection, side effects from general anesthesia, bleeding, etc.
Thorough hemostasis, possible antibiotic therapy will help prevent the progression of complications.
Men who have undergone a varicocele given by surgery should understand that the following undesirable consequences may occur:
- recurrent inguinal pain
- testicular mismatch in size,
- insufficient sperm motility and their total number.
Varicocele: recovery after surgery and what should not be done
Varicocele is an exclusively male disease that disrupts blood circulation in the testes and spermatic cord.
In this organ, the vessels have a characteristic feature, form a vascular plexus, where blood flows from the testicle and into the deferent duct.
Treatment of the disease is accompanied by an operative route and compliance with certain recommendations in the postoperative period. In this article we will tell you what you can’t do after varicocele surgery.
Indications for surgery
Varicocele is a varicose vein in the spermatic cord of the testis. Most often, the disease occurs on the left. Varicocele of the left testicle does not pose a strong threat to a man’s life, however, it can provoke testicular atrophy and lead to infertility.
In urology, 4 degrees of pathology are classified, the difference of which is manifested in the severity of symptoms and the pathological process. For example, with 1 or 2 second degree of the disease, men do not experience special difficulties and inconveniences.
But at stages 3 and 4, the cluster-like plexus of veins on the testicle is easily visible.
For information! The expansion of the veins of the spermatic cord on the right testicle indicates the presence of kidney problems. It is recommended to undergo an ultrasound to exclude tumor formations.
With varicocele, surgery is prescribed in the following cases:
- relapse of varicocele
- the presence of severe pain,
- impaired spermatogenesis with confirmed expansion of the veins in the spermatic cord,
- the presence of a pronounced stage of the disease, which is confirmed by ultrasound and dopplerography,
- unaesthetic appearance of the genital organ,
- retardation of testicular growth at puberty,
- male infertility.
For information! Experts say it is best to eliminate the expansion of the veins in the spermatic cord at the age of 25-30 years.
Surgical intervention is carried out in a hospital in the urology department. Anesthesia method is selected based on the planned operation.
Any operation of varicocele and recovery after it, without fail, provides for a diet, as well as the implementation of preventive measures.
As a rule, the patient is advised to continue treatment at home for 10 days, patient care does not require special difficulties, the main thing is to exclude weight lifting and alcohol consumption. The main recommendation of the urologist is a monthly visit, consultation, examination and analysis.
Based on spermograms, sports and sexual life are allowed. It is worth noting that recovery from varicocele depends on the chosen method of surgical intervention.
For example, after Ivanissevich’s operation, it takes up to 14 days, microsurgical intervention takes 3 days, and the endovascular method takes only 2 days.
For information! After surgery, a man may experience pain during intercourse. It is recommended to restore sexual life no earlier than 3-4 weeks later.
Relapse of the disease can occur in any man. In urology, it is noted that the Ivanissevich method most often provokes a relapse of varicocele. There are no basic preventive recommendations, as until the end, urologists have not yet established the cause of relapse. However, the observance of simple rules will help a man easier to move the recovery period:
- wear a sports bandage if necessary,
- regularly undergo examination and diagnosis,
- take a spermogram regularly.
For information! Frequent sexual arousal increases the blood supply to the penis, and provokes a relapse. It is possible to exclude prolonged arousal with the help of masturbation.
The main rule for eliminating relapse is to undergo a thorough diagnosis before surgery. This approach can significantly reduce the risk of complications and relapse.
What can not be done after surgery?
In the postoperative period, it is important to know what actions a man can perform and which ones are best to refrain from. Let's consider in more detail what cannot be done after the operation:
- in the first 48 hours, the patient is advised to observe bed rest, not to be nervous,
- in the first week after surgery it is forbidden to lift a weight of more than 4.5 kilograms,
- in the first 21-25 days, it is necessary to exclude heavy physical exertion, cycling, aerobic and athletic exercises,
- it is forbidden to wet and remove bandages in the first 3 days,
- it is forbidden to visit the bath and take a bath for 7 days after the operation.
The main objective of all recommendations is aimed at an easy and calm level in the postoperative period, as well as the complete exclusion of physical and thermal stresses.
Varicocele is not a fatal disease, however, it can lead to genital atrophy and infertility in men.
You can diagnose the disease from 10 years old, it is the timely detection of varicose veins of the spermatic cord that significantly increases the chances of a complete elimination of the problem and does not violate the reproductive function.
Regardless of the chosen surgical method of treating the disease, it is important to understand that varicocele does not impair sexual activity and does not cause impotence.
Recovery after varicocele: operations, period, rehabilitation, testicles
Varicocele is a male disease accompanied by impaired blood flow in the testicles. As a result of changes in the structure of the vein, the reproductive organs do not receive the necessary amount of oxygen.Most often, the pathology is eliminated by surgical intervention.
Recovery after varicocele surgery involves following certain recommendations. The speed of regenerative processes largely depends on the patient’s behavior.
The correct approach to rehabilitation helps prevent the development of complications, which include inflammatory processes, infertility, dropsy, etc.
After 3-4 days, the patient returns to his usual working life
Recovery after varicocele in each individual case is carried out with different intensities. The duration of rehabilitation depends on the method of surgical intervention. With minimally invasive procedures and laparoscopy, the patient recovers faster. After 3-4 days, he returns to his usual labor activity.
After an endovascular embolism, the patient can leave the medical institution the very next day. Outpatient diagnostic procedures are carried out to establish the effectiveness of the operation. These include ultrasound monitoring, spermogram delivery and routine examination.
The first six months, it is necessary to observe a vascular surgeon for the prevention of thrombosis.
After carrying out other methods of removing varicocele, the recovery is long. In some cases, a hospital stay of at least 7-10 days is required. Doctors believe that the age of the patient is of no small importance. In mature men, regenerative processes slow down. Recovery after varicocele surgery is based on the following:
- selection of drug therapy,
- determination of the possibility of motor activity,
- the implementation of diagnostic measures to eliminate the likelihood of relapse,
- elimination of complications in case of their development.
Post-operative drug support
Drug support plays an important role in the speed of rehabilitation. Surgical intervention is accompanied by incisions of the skin, changes in blood flow and damage to muscle tissue. Therefore, it is important to avoid infection in the body. During the rehabilitation period, it is recommended to take the following drugs:
- Antibacterial agents. Necessary to prevent secondary purulent infection and septic complications. These include Amoxicillin, Ceftriaxone, Amoxiclav, and Cefir.
- Immunostimulants. They help to activate the body's defenses and regenerative mechanisms. The drugs of this group include Cycloferon, Timalin, Tactivin and Timogen.
- Anticoagulants. They help normalize blood coagulation and prevent the development of thrombosis. The most effective drugs in this category are Xexan, Heparin and Warfarin.
- Steroidal and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. They stop the pain syndrome, eliminate puffiness and the inflammatory process. Steroid preparations include: Methylprednisolone, Prednisolone and Dexamethasone. The list of commonly used non-steroidal drugs includes: Nise, Nimesulide, Ketotifen and Askofen.
Sperm recovery after varicocele surgery
Varicocele is accompanied by a decrease in the reproductive function of men. As a result of impaired circulation, the temperature in the scrotum changes. It becomes unfavorable for the maturation of high-quality sperm.
To restore spermogram values after varicocele surgery, it is required to take biologically active additives. They contain vitamins, minerals and natural extracts that stimulate spermatogenesis.
The most effective drugs include:
To improve sperm quality, a special diet is indicated. Products rich in selenium, L-carnitine, zinc, vitamins C, E and D, folic acid help to activate the production of sex hormones.It is recommended to introduce seafood, nuts, herbs, citruses, liver, legumes, honey, strawberries and kiwi into the diet.
To improve blood circulation in the pelvic organs, it is necessary to wear loose underwear. It is equally important to abandon the thermal effect on the testicles. You can not take hot baths for a long time and keep the laptop on your lap. An optimal temperature is needed for the sperm formation process. It should be 1-2 ° C below standard body temperature.
Interesting! Pregnancy planning is allowed 3-4 months after surgery. During this period, sperm have time to completely update.
How does age affect the recovery process?
In men of mature age, after an operation with varicocele, the body recovers longer than at a younger age. This is due to a gradual slowdown in metabolic processes as a person grows older.
Of great importance is the hormonal background, concomitant diseases and individual structural features of the body.
Statistics show that relapses most often occur during the operation in adolescence.
Elimination of postoperative complications
In the recovery period after varicocele surgery, various complications often arise. If the size of the testis after surgery has changed, we can talk about the development of dropsy. It provokes accidental damage to the lymph nodes during surgical procedures. Such a complication occurs in 10% of cases. It is eliminated by surgery and medication.
Painful sensations are considered a natural reaction of the body to surgery. Discomfort is caused by stretching of the appendages with venous blood. To eliminate the pain syndrome, analgesics are prescribed. The treatment regimen is selected by the doctor.
Sometimes the operation affects the process of producing testosterone. In this case, hormonal-based medication is required. Such a pathology is extremely rare. The most common problems of the postoperative period include relapse of the disease. It occurs with poor-quality operation. In this case, repeated surgical intervention is required.
Sex life after treatment
Only the advanced stage of the disease affects the erectile function of a man. In other cases, the level of sexual desire remains the same.
The recovery period after surgery involves a temporary refusal of sexual intercourse. Intimacy is allowed to be practiced no earlier than 3 weeks after discharge from the hospital. Masturbation is also contraindicated.
Prolonged blood supply to the penis leads to relapse of the disease.
What can not be done?
After treatment for varicocele in the testicle, a series of prohibitions are imposed on the man. The observance of the reproductive system recovery period depends on their observance. During the rehabilitation period, surgeons prohibit the following:
- lift weights more than 4.5 kg and engage in active sports,
- drink alcohol and smoke,
- take hot baths and visit the sauna,
- have sex
- sleep less than 8 hours a day,
- overload the body with stressful situations,
- swim in open water,
- to allow hypothermia of the body,
- drink coffee and strong tea,
- to be in the sun for a long time,
- eat junk food.
In the first days after surgery, it is strictly forbidden to remove the dressing yourself. In a hospital, dressings are carried out by medical workers. This is necessary to ensure proper hygiene in order to prevent infection.
The load on the body should increase gradually. Instead of active sports, it is allowed to practice yoga, breathing exercises and classes in the pool. It is also recommended to perform special exercises aimed at restoring blood flow.Before this, it is advisable to consult with your doctor.
On a note! After the operation to remove the varicocele, the young men are given a deferment from the army for the duration of the rehabilitation period.
Varicocelectomy helps prevent complications caused by circulatory disorders in the scrotum. If you follow the recommendations prescribed by the doctor, the disease will not affect the reproductive health of the man in the future. Violation of the principles of rehabilitation threatens with complications in the form of infertility and chronic pain.
Sometimes the disease proceeds without painful symptoms, is detected during a medical examination. A neglected disease causes consequences leading to infertility. Be careful noticing the warning signs of varicocele, consult your doctor:
- vein expansion, enlargement of the scrotum,
- discomfort when walking,
- scrotum pain
- stretching part of the scrotum,
- testicular pain, aggravated by exertion.
Severe consequences of varicocele for men: impotence and infertility. The doctor recommends an operation if symptoms are found during the examination:
- pain in the testicles, groin, scrotum,
- deterioration in sperm quality (shown by a spermogram), dramatically reducing the possibility of fertilization of the egg,
- enlarged scrotum veins
- increasing asymmetry of the testicles during puberty.
Male infertility is of two types:
- endocrine infertility, when maturing spermatozoa are inferior, inactive and incapable of fertilization,
- immune infertility, when the immune system does not recognize spermatozoa as its own cells and fights them as alien.
Surgery for varicocele
Varicocele surgery cures infertility in 55% of patients. During surgery, the affected vessel is isolated, the blood flow is sent through a healthy vein. Drug therapy is used as an adjunct treatment, an operation cannot be dispensed with.
Before the operation, it is necessary to take blood tests (general, for HIV, for biochemistry, hepatitis), urinalysis. Take examinations: heart (ECG), lungs (x-ray), check hormone levels, sperm quality (spermogram).
Types of operations
A common type of operation for varicocele and affordable. It involves an open way to intervene in an intimate place and a painful recovery period after surgery. Surgeon's goal: bandage a varicose testicular vein through a small incision.
The option of the operation remains optimal for patients of any age (after 13 years), any stages of varicocele, although there are other methods. These are minimally invasive bloodless best practices. They are made using punctures (without cuts and sutures) using endoscopic instruments. These techniques are not traumatic than strip ones.
The surgeon, excising the affected veins and branches, can miss the veins not visible in the section, but already affected by varicose veins. Therefore, in 40% of cases, relapses of the disease are possible. With the 3-4th stage of testicular vein damage, all its branches are affected and the risk of relapse is great. The disadvantages of Ivanissevich’s operation are: the risk of relapse and a long rehabilitation period (from 3-4 weeks to 6 months).
The duration of patient recovery after varicocele surgery depends on factors (age, general health) and strict adherence to the recommendations and restrictions prescribed by the doctor.
Bed rest should be observed for 3 days, wear a bandage, change the bandage. With normal healing of the suture, drainage is removed after 2-3 days. For a week, patients drink antibiotics to prevent infection in the postoperative area.
After a week, the stitches are removed. It is long recommended to wear tight scrotum-supporting swimming trunks. With the permission of the doctor, you can begin sexual activity a month after the operation.
Possible pain during sex, which eventually disappear.
The consequences of varicocele in men
The operation is associated with dissection of tissues and muscle extension, surgeon errors are not excluded, the following complications are possible:
- damage to the nerve in the inguinal canal, which causes pain in the groin or a decrease in the sensitivity of the thigh. To reduce discomfort: physiotherapy is performed, acupuncture helps,
- atrophy (death) of the testicle with insufficient blood supply, if healthy vessels are injured or the iliac artery is bandaged,
- testicular hydrocele (fluid accumulation) - edema due to damage to the lymphatic system,
- infection during surgery or infection after. Acute pain in the suture, groin, temperature and fever indicate the development of inflammation in the suture. You should immediately tell the doctor about this.
These complications occur after operations of the 3-4th stage of varicocele, when an advanced disease has to be operated on. In the early stages of the disease, complications after surgery are rare.
The popularity of this operation is explained by its effectiveness, the absence of incisions and postoperative scars. This shortens the recovery period after varicocele surgery. Advantages: low injuries, absence of complications, cosmetic effect (the scar is invisible). Under local anesthesia.
The surgeon, through a small incision in the groin (2-3 cm), reaches the varicose vein, bandages and excises it. Seams are removed after 7-8 days. In very rare cases, complications occur: relapse, dropsy of the testicle, discharge from the incision, infection of the wound and the development of inflammation.
Recovery after varicocele is important.
The cluster-shaped veins supply the testes with blood and produce fluid outflow. With a disease, tissues grow in the vascular bundle, blood accumulates in their plexuses. As a result of a violation of the blood supply to the testicles, pain occurs, the testicles are deformed, seals appear, sexual function is impaired.
Laparoscopic surgery is preferred for bilateral varicocele. It is carried out through several punctures in the peritoneum. Trocars (hollow tubes) are introduced into the punctures. Through the first 10-mm tube (in the navel) a micro camera (a laparoscope - a rigid endoscope) is inserted, giving an image of the surgical field on the screen. Through the other two tubes (5 mm in diameter), instruments are introduced.
During the operation, the dilated veins are squeezed by clamps and fastened with titanium brackets. Part of the vein is attached to a healthy vessel to restore normal blood supply to the testicles. The duration of the operation is no more than 1 hour.
Punctures are sutured and no scars remain on the body. The next day, the patient is discharged, and after 3-4 days his working capacity is restored, after a week - sexual function. Rehabilitation after surgery is much faster.
After a month, the patient recovers.
The principle of conducting is similar to the previous view, carried out through three punctures under local anesthesia. The image on the screen allows you to see the endoscope - a miniature video camera that transmits an image in electronic form, which gives high image quality and magnification.
The purpose of microvascular surgery is to restore impaired blood flow through a vein from the ovary. During the operation, a vein is transplanted to the site of the affected testicular. Do with any degree of varicocele.
How to reduce the risk of varicocele recurrence?
The surgeon performs an operation using optical magnification with a special microscope. The incision is made in the lower abdomen, 5-6 cm long, parallel to the inguinal canal.
Blood circulation after surgery is restored immediately, which reduces the risk of complications, like dropsy of the ovary. It is possible to normalize the outflow of blood from the ovary using the veins of the abdomen, connecting them to the ovarian.
The operation more than others contributes to the normalization of the venous outflow from the testicle, but it is traumatic, it takes time for rehabilitation.
Any of the varicocele operations in the postoperative period requires patience from the patient, adherence to the doctor's recommendations and restrictions until complete recovery.
- the occurrence of lymphostasis (poor outflow of lymph),
- hydrocele, dropsy of the testicle (fluid accumulation),
- redness, discomfort (pulling pains) in the area of the postoperative scar, femoral nerve,
- hematomas and swelling of testicular tissue,
- suture discharge from the suture, inguinal hernia,
- inflammation and purulent discharge.
Complications occur in no more than 10% of postoperative patients. To reduce the risk of their occurrence, you must follow the doctor's recommendations.
Varicocele after surgery
The recovery period requires certain precautions:
- observe bed rest after surgery,
- refrain from straining abdominal muscles,
- wear a bandage (at least 2 weeks), later elastic dense swimming trunks to maintain the scrotum,
- Do not play sports
- do not do strength exercises,
- do not lift weights
- when prescribing antibiotics, take the course prescribed by the doctor.
Recovery period lasts:
- 1-2 weeks - after open access surgery,
- 1-2 days after laparoscopic surgery
- 2-3 days - after microsurgical,
- 1 day - after endovascular embolism.
What can not be done after surgery?
During the recovery period, the patient should be monitored by the attending physician and vascular surgeon in order to prevent blockage of the vessel, the formation of a blood clot, and complications.
After surgery, it is recommended:
- Do not allow physical activity for 2 days.
- Do not remove bandages. Dressings are done only by a doctor in compliance with sterility.
- Do not lift anything heavier than 4 kg for a week.
- You can’t have a hot bath for 5 days.
- Within 10 days, use antibacterial ointments only as directed by a doctor.
- You can not play sports (weightlifting, cycling, running).
- Returning to work with heavy physical exertion or related to weight lifting only after a month.
For pain in the groin, you can apply ice wrapped in tissue for 10-20 minutes. Walking is helpful to improve blood circulation. The patient must comply with medical prescriptions, consult in case of problems, come for follow-up examinations.
What can not be done after varicocele surgery: basic rules
A varicocele is a set of dilated (varicose) veins around the testicle that swell if a person is standing.
When the veins swell, they can cause dull pain and discomfort in the groin, as well as increase the temperature of the testicles in a range that adversely affects the quantity and quality of sperm. However, varicocele does not lead to impotence.
- In addition to testicular pain, varicocele can sometimes lead to atrophy (shrinkage) of the affected testicle. To solve this problem, surgical methods of treating varicocele are used. They are more effective than treating varicocele without surgery.
- After surgery, the patient may experience a slight pain in the groin from 3 to 6 weeks. The scrotum and groin may be bruised and look swollen. This will pass after 3-4 weeks.
- Edema is a normal part of the healing process in the postoperative period. As a general recommendation: if the wrinkles on the scrotum can be seen and evaluated, then the tumor is within a reasonable level.
- The patient is likely to be able to return to work or normal life within 2-3 days after microscopic surgery. If his work involves intense activity or athletics, you will have to wait a week or more. If the operation was more invasive, the postoperative period may take longer.
- The man may have to wear a sports bandage for about 2 weeks after surgery or further on the recommendation of a doctor.
- Walking is encouraged as it stimulates the passage of blood flow through the legs and helps expand the lungs after anesthesia.
- The patient, as a rule, is not recommended to do anything 48 hours after surgery.
- The level of postoperative activity should be light, without any heavy exercise or stress.
- Do not remove bandages or soak them for two days after surgery.
- There is no need to use an ointment with an antibiotic as all stitches will resolve within 4-6 weeks.
- It may take 5-10 days before a man can return to sport, do physical exercises, do hard work, have sex and masturbate.
- Stressful activities such as cycling, running, weight lifting, or aerobic exercise should be avoided for about 3 weeks after surgery or before the doctor allows.
- For about 7 days after surgery, varicocele can not be raised more than 4.5 kilograms. This may include heavy shopping bags, a heavy briefcase or backpack, a bag with cat litter or dog food, and a vacuum cleaner.
- You can not take a bath for 5 days.
After the first day, you need to start moving every day. Walking increases blood flow and helps prevent pneumonia and constipation.
During recovery from varicocele surgery, you can eat foods from your normal diet.
If the stomach is upset, the patient may try soft foods that are low in fat, such as:
Some men do not have regular bowel movements after surgery. There is nothing dangerous about it. It is only necessary to try to avoid constipation and tension during bowel movements. If there is no bowel movement within two days, the doctor may recommend a mild laxative.
If the doctor has prescribed antibiotics, you need to take them as directed. You can’t stop taking them when you feel better.
- During the recovery period after varicocele surgery, a small amount of pinkish fluid may leak from the incision. This will continue for several days after surgery.
- To help reduce pain in the groin, you can put ice or a cold compress on the sore spot and hold for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. A thin cloth should be placed between the ice and the skin.
- Follow-up is a key part of treatment. The patient must comply with all doctor's prescriptions and consult a doctor in case of problems.
- It’s a good idea to keep your test results and medication list safe.
Recommendations for an active life after varicocele
Recommendations after varicocele surgery regarding sexual activity are quite simple. Doctors advise to refrain from sexual intercourse during the recovery period.
It lasts after normal operations until after microsurgical up to 3 weeks, and after endovascular up to 3 days.
After the operation, you can observe bed rest, come to the consultation to remove the stitches, wear special underwear, wash in the shower.
You can not take hot baths, exercise, sex, as well as masturbation, lift weights, push excessively.
- Is light physical labor possible after varicocele surgery? Possible limitations for varicocele after surgery include a ban on weight lifting and heavy physical exertion. The concept of light physical labor is extensible, therefore, it is necessary to discuss with the attending physician the specific amount of possible physical activity for the recovery period and in subsequent years.
- Is it possible to masturbate after varicocele surgery? Masturbation after varicocele is undesirable for the recovery period.
- Can I have sex after varicocele surgery? It is possible, after the completion of the rehabilitation period, the sexual life can be restored to its former volume without loss of quality.
- Can I do sports after varicocele surgery? For the recovery period, sports after varicocele are prohibited, after the amount of possible sports loads should be discussed with the doctor, sometimes the ban on sports loads can last several months.
- What can I eat after varicocele surgery? Diet after surgical treatment of varicose veins of the testis should be aimed at preventing constipation, nutritious and vitamin-rich food. Preference should be given to the Mediterranean diet. It is better not to drink alcohol after varicocele surgery, as it promotes dehydration and constipation.
Varicocele is considered a rather unpleasant disease. After surgery, the consequences and complications may consist in the formation of dropsy of the testicle. With hydrocele, fluid accumulates in the inguinal region. This happens mainly due to bandaging or damage to the lymph nodes in the groin, which disrupts the outflow of fluid. Hydrocele is eliminated by conducting additional surgical intervention, during which the outflow of lymphatic fluid is normalized.
Experts say that during the recovery period, complications of varicocele are quite rare. Often they are associated with an insufficiently high level of professionalism of doctors or difficulties encountered during surgery. However, do not underestimate the occurrence of various risks, therefore it is important to fully comply with all the recommendations of the doctor.
Some complications appear immediately after surgery in the postoperative period, but pass on their own, without the intervention of a doctor. In particular, these are violations such as:
- hematoma formation in the area of operation,
- thickening of the tissue near the wound,
- the appearance of a nectar,
- excessive swelling of the tissues.
- high temperature for a long time,
- pain in the testicles
- severe swelling of the tissues,
- tissue redness
- discharge from the wound.
In the recovery period after varicocele surgery, the enlargement of the testicle and severe pain in it are of great danger. If such signs occur, you should immediately consult a doctor.
In the postoperative period, to ensure a faster recovery of the patient, doctors recommend adhering to certain rules, namely:
- you can’t do sports
- exclude sexual intercourse,
- compression therapy is indicated.
Sexual life after surgery
Regardless of the method of surgical intervention, a man is forbidden to have sex for 3 weeks. However, it is worth noting that the specific timing of the restoration of sexual activity is determined only by the attending doctor. The thing is that each man is individual, and the duration of the rehabilitation period is determined by the anatomical features and the type of operation performed.
Quite often after surgery, varicocele complications may consist in the appearance of various problems with spermatogenesis.
Dieting after surgery
In the postoperative period, the patient's nutrition should be balanced, with a low level of fat and carbohydrates. In some cases, patients after surgery may have problems with bowel movements. To exclude the likelihood of relapse and constipation, experts recommend consuming dairy products and avoid muscle strain during bowel movements. If this process lasts for several days, then there may be severe intoxication of the body.
There is a high likelihood of re-formation of varicocele, provided that the blood flow in the seminal vein is maintained.Basically, this condition is observed if not all dilated testicular veins were removed after the operation.