Proper sharpening of a dangerous razor
“Caution” or a dangerous razor is a device for removing hair on the face and neck. Among men remains popular to this day. Shaving machines or electrical appliances can cause irritation. The use of "apprehension" reduces such risks to zero. The device is used by experienced barbers and hairdressers, as well as at home. Compliance with the rules of shaving and skin preparation makes the procedure as safe and painless as possible. To effectively remove bristles, it is recommended to sharpen the blade. Every man must know the rules of editing. All manipulations with the razor should be carried out carefully and accurately, since its blades are very sharp. There are certain risks when using a razor. However, they are no more than the risks of shaving with a conventional machine.
What you need to sharpen and edit a dangerous razor
During operation, "apprehension" tends to be dull. In some cases, if used improperly, it bends. Therefore, from time to time, the device should be sharpened or edited. Usually after 3-5 procedures he is corrected on a leather belt. This allows you to align minor defects on the edges of the metal blade. Shocks, falls from heights or contacts with other metals can cause significant defects to the instrument. In this case, it is put in order and sharpness is renewed with the help of grindstones. This is not done in the same way as when sharpening knives or scissors. The process is complex, quite dangerous. However, the quality of shaving and the longevity of the razor will depend on its implementation. In the absence of skills, it is better to shave with a master who will show how to properly and safely sharpen.
Sharpening and editing are different processes. In the first embodiment, it is supposed to remove the upper layer of metal on a sharp blade. In the second - grinding from burrs and bumps. For these manipulations you will need:
- grinding belt
- fine-grained stone
- special skin or sandpaper.
How to grind at home
Before starting this process on a stone, it should be remembered that the metal blade is thin and sensitive. One wrong move, and various defects occur on the device. It takes time, strict adherence to instructions and patience to gain knowledge, experience and skills of sharpening “apprehension”. So, manipulations are carried out using:
- sandpaper, skins,
- leather belt.
What to use to sharpen a dangerous razor
Before you start sharpening a dangerous razor, you need to prepare some tools and devices.
Here is the minimum list of items needed:
- Belt. When sharpening, hanging belts or belts with wooden handles can be used. The first option is more suitable for independent use by more advanced users, the second - for beginners. It is important that the width of the belt should be slightly larger than the width of the blade. The belt allows you to edit the "apprehension" yourself. And when using a stone for sharpening, the belt should be used together with a protective paste. Such devices have already appeared on sale.
- A rock. Only a specialist can carry out sharpening correctly. This option is necessary if the tip was damaged or slightly chipped. The standard size of the stone is 50 by 150 mm. The blades are quite susceptible to mechanical stress, so in practice they use synthetic stones. In this case, the grinding procedure itself should be carried out as clearly as possible. Deviation from the vector or the wrong angle can permanently damage the metal.
- Other devices. Beginners often edit and sharpen materials like sandpaper or sandpaper. The procedure is similar to editing with a belt. That's just right to choose the sandpaper grain is extremely problematic.
Hand over or sharpen yourself
Only a specialist knows how to sharpen a dangerous razor. Therefore, if a man does not have enough practical skills, it is worth contacting a special workshop. Usually this happens only after an unsuccessful attempt to correct the blade yourself.
The main disadvantage of self-sharpening is the possibility of injury. When contacting a specialist, this will not happen. Moreover, workshops are increasingly using laser procedures. According to statistics, the point sharpened in this way lasts longer than when sharpened with traditional devices.
What is the procedure for sharpening a dangerous razor
Sharpening and straightening a dangerous razor blade are completely different procedures. In the first case, it is necessary to remove an insignificant layer of metal. In the second - a simple grinding of bumps, which you can do yourself.
But how to edit a dangerous razor, you can learn yourself. In practice, sharpening blades at home for the first time is unsuccessful. This is due to an incorrect angle, an irrationally selected motion vector, crumbs on a sharp edge, etc. The necessary skills will come with time. However, for this you need to understand the procedure and know all the subtleties of using certain tools.
Sharpening a Razor: Walkthrough
Message Tihohod » 03.02.13, 17:53
I have a dangerous razor in my hands. What to do first?
1. Assessment of the condition of the cutting edge (RK) for the subsequent elimination of defects.
Two parameters are important here: the absence of chips and the evenness of the RK. It should not have sharpness inward (the so-called “reverse smile”) and sharpness of the front of the blade, which occurs when the razor is used for other purposes (for example, as a result of cutting linoleum).
2. Evaluation of the geometry (more precisely, stereometry) of the razor.
a) The ratio of the width of the web to the thickness of the butt should not differ greatly from 4: 1. The range can be from 4.5: 1 to 3.5: 1. If the ratio turns out to be, say, 3: 1, then due to the excessive value of the angle and the subsequent obstruction when editing, the razor will most likely not shave in the best way.
b) The line of the butt and the line of the PK should belong to the same plane: a razor laid on a mirror with a straight PK should not "play" diagonally. (A razor with a convex blade — with a normal “smile” on the mirror, rolls slightly along the length, but does not “dance” diagonally. Sharpening such razors is specific and is not considered here.)
For sharpening, in addition to a razor, at least, you will need: grindstones from 1000 to 6000 grit (and in case of straightening the geometry also 200-400 grit),
shoe belt with abrasive paste, clean tension belt, good quality magnifier 20 times.
Before you put a razor on a stone, you need to clearly understand:
a) what you need to get in the end,
b) what cannot be done in this case.
1. The ideal PK of a razor is similar to a stretched string, that is, the PK should have some microscopic radius, but not have teeth, like a saw, or burrs.
2. In order for the RK to be straight, like a string, first of all, a whetstone should be absolutely flat. To do this, sandpaper is placed on the mirror, and the stone is leveled on it. If the RK is not straight, then burrs will appear in some areas, which will break off during shaving.
3. Sharpening stones must be leveled and saturated with water before sharpening, and “oily” stones should be oiled.
4. When sharpening, the razor is placed on the moistened stone with the entire plane and is carried forward only by the RK (“on the grain”) - first forward, then back (a pair of such movements is called “passage”). Since the razor’s information angle is very small and is ≈16 degrees, it is impossible to press heavily on the razor, otherwise the PK will bend upward and a burr will form instead of the “string”.
When sharpening, the razor should be held by the handle with one hand, and pressed to the stone with the other, controlling the uniformity of its fit, the finer the grain of the stone, the weaker the pressure should be.
5. To prevent damage to the razor on the stone and the belt on the razor, turn it over only through the butt.
6. The cutting edge of the razor is first formed on a relatively rough stone, where the geometry is corrected if necessary, that is, the razor is sharpened until it stops “dancing” on the mirror and until the RC extends into an absolutely straight line. In this case, regrinding is inevitable, that is, the formation of a burr is eliminated by carefully dulling the razor: it is placed with the “heel” of the point on the edge of the stone and stretches along it all the way to the nose.
7. The razor is sharpened in stages:
RK is formed on a 1000 grit stone - until it “takes” on both sides of the supply plane from both sides. (It is undesirable to bring to full attention - this is the task of fine-tuning, that is, the last, final stage of sharpening.)
on the next stone with grain 2-3 times smaller (2000-3000 grit) the risks from the previous stone are smoothed out, which is controlled with a magnifying glass,
on the next stone with grain smaller by another 2-3 times the risks are smoothed out again, and so up to 6000-10000 grit.
8. In order to reduce the teeth of the micropile and increase the comfort of shaving, it is possible to form a microcontroller on the finish stone, for which stick insulating tape on the butt (the art of gluing it is described in detail in the article by Gabor Hunkel) - this will slightly increase the sharpening angle, and do not do the last passes directly -------------, and in a zigzag / / / / /, that is, the razor moves forward-left by 1-2 centimeters, then forward-right, so that each next the movement was perpendicular to the previous one.
9. Next, a check is made on the adequacy of sharpening:
the razor is placed flat on the shoe belt with paste (the standard is crocus, or red "dialux"),
without strong pressure on it, 5-10 passes are made by the butt forward with turning over through the butt,
a sharpness test is performed - an attempt to cut the hair by weight 10 mm from the fingers.
If the hair is not cut even in 2-3 mm, then the whole cycle is repeated starting from 10 passes on a stone 1000 grit,
if it is cut, then the editing continues on a tightly tensioned clean belt without much pressure up to 60 swing back and forth.
The subtleties of sharpening a dangerous razor on a stone
Dangerous razors are not sharpened often and only when necessary. For example, with serious damage.
For sharpening you need:
- Wet the stone with water (natural stone is desirable).
- Hold the point on both sides with the thumb and forefinger.
- Sharpen by tracing the edge along the stone.
- After the blade is turned over and carry out the procedure on the other side.
The process itself is not complicated. The main thing is to observe the sharpening angle of a dangerous razor so as not to damage the surface.
Some nuances to simplify the procedure:
- the pressing force should be small, otherwise there is a risk of damaging the sharp edge,
- the plane of the blade must constantly touch the water stone,
- a dangerous razor will be sharpened evenly if the same pressing force is used,
- if you wrap the comb with electrical tape, then this will avoid scratches on it.
A belt is used to straighten a dangerous razor. When carrying out such a procedure, it is important to observe the tension.
The process of editing a dangerous razor on a belt is as follows:
- Lay the blade on the surface of the belt with the wide side.
- Pressing the tip is not too much.
- Do not move the blade quickly so as not to damage the skin of the dressing belt or hand.
- Move the tip of the device in the opposite direction after the income to the extreme point.
The main thing is not to make sudden movements. Then the probability of injury will be minimal.
Using sandpaper or sandpaper
A sandpaper or sandpaper is well suited for sharpening. Moreover, this is the easiest way at home.
How to sharpen the blade with sandpaper:
- use paper with grains larger than 2000,
- use water
- carry out grinding procedures on a flat surface.
The procedure itself is identical to the version with a belt. But the use of sandpaper or sandpaper is saddled with the problem that it is difficult to find a suitable grain size of the paper. Using less or more grit may cause injury or damage to the sharp edge.
What to use for sharpening a razor and how to use it?
Editing and sharpening a dangerous razor are two different processes, since in the case of sharpening, the metal layer on the blades is removed, and when dressing, the area is polished from the presence of irregularities on the metal and the burrs of the tip. A dangerous razor is kept in the right condition, provided that you use a grinding belt, stones, sandpaper or a special skin. On how to sharpen a dangerous razor, a man can learn theoretically or visually on video reviews.
For sharpening razors I use two types of belts - hanging belts or with wooden handles. But the first option is more in demand, since it allows you to independently adjust the tension. You need to choose a belt so that its width completely covers the blade, and leave some more margin. With wooden handles, belts are popular among beginners, as they are already locked and have the same level of tension.
Using a belt, a man can learn how to edit a dangerous razor. Such belts, as a rule, have skin on one side and fine-grained fabric on the other. Belt dressing is carried out under strict control of the tension and angle of the functional surface.
Use the belt to edit a dangerous razor as follows:
- First you need to put the razor blade wide side on the surface,
- Along the ridge side, the blade should be forward.
- It is forbidden to press on the blade, as this can lead to bending of the edge,
- When editing reaches the extreme point, it is necessary to do the same manipulations as in the second paragraph of the instruction, but in the opposite direction.
- All movements must be sedate so that the blade does not injure itself and does not damage the integrity of the skin of the belt.
Proper blade care
A dangerous razor is a rather sophisticated tool that needs special care. The main nuances of storing and caring for such a device:
- after each use, the “apprehension” should be washed and dried until the moisture evaporates completely,
- Store the shaving device in a dry, ventilated place,
- with rare use, the blade tip must be coated with paraffin oil,
- Handle the razor carefully. It is not allowed to throw or hit an instrument about anything.
All these tips will help maintain the sharpness of the blade. Also, with proper care, the likelihood of injury during shaving or discomfort is reduced. If you need frequent or even daily use of the "apprehension" is worth stocking up with several tools. So each of them will last several times longer than if it would be only one razor tool. The more often you use the “apprehension”, the faster it will lose its working condition.
Only specialists know exactly how to sharpen razor blades with a stone correctly. In addition, most hazardous facial hair removal products are hone during production. If the blades become dull, the use of a belt is usually implied. But if the razor blade has been damaged and damaged during use, a sharpening stone may still come in handy.
Many firms sell stones, they differ in the materials of manufacture and the principle of action. The most popular today are synthetic stones with an affordable price and excellent work quality.When using a stone, it is important to remember that razor blades are very sensitive to any rough mechanical influences, the wrong motion vector and the angle of sharpening with a stone can cause scratches, crevices and bumps.
The restoration of the sharpness and smooth surface of the blades using stone is performed as follows:
- First you need to moisten the stone with water.
- With the thumb and forefinger you need to hold the razor.
- Use your fingers to clamp the comb and end of the blade.
- For sharpening, it is necessary to carry out a razor along the stone itself.
- At the end of the stone, the razor must be turned over, pressed according to the second paragraph of the instruction with the other side, and repeat the movements according to the fourth paragraph.
Turn the blade of a hazardous razor while grinding with stone only through the comb so as not to damage it.
The grinding angle during operation should be stable and constant so as not to damage the integrity of the metal. If water stone will be used, the instruction for sharpening a razor implies the following rules:
- pressing force should be small,
- the entire razor plane should be in contact with the surface of the stone,
- moving the razor blade along the stone, the degree of depression should be stable,
- the blade comb is wrapped with electrical tape so as not to damage it with a stone.
Few people succeed in getting used to sharpening a razor with a stone the first time, it takes time to bring the effort to perfection. A good sharpening stone should keep its shape, not emit a large volume of suspension, have a uniform structure with fine grain and no lumps. The size of the stone before grinding should ideally be 50x150.
Useful tips for sharpening a dangerous razor
Subject to these tips, the "apprehension" will last longer, and the procedure for sharpening will be safer:
- when editing with a belt, it should be as tight as possible,
- when working with caution, it is important to observe safety precautions. This applies to both shaving and sharpening or straightening,
It seems that self sharpening or editing a dangerous razor is not such a complicated procedure. However, in practice, the result of independent sharpening may not please. If skills are not enough, then you should contact a professional.
You can correct the razor blades and sharpen them using other devices, for example, skins or sandpaper. These are the most popular materials that are used by beginners in such matters. The method of using sandpaper for sharpening is similar to the principle of using a belt, as picking up the appropriate grain of paper is quite problematic. The arsenal for using such devices is simple - water, sandpaper or sandpaper, a flat surface.
How to store a dangerous razor?
Only with proper care will a man be able to protect his dangerous razor from rust, blunting the blade and reducing its functionality. A dangerous razor is a very sophisticated item that needs special care. After performing manipulations with the razor, it must be washed under running water, blotted with a cloth or paper towel to remove residual moisture.
Keep the razor in a ventilated and dry room so that the metal rests. If a dangerous razor is used extremely rarely, paraffin oil must be applied to its razor blade to protect it from rust. For daily shaving with such a tool, experts advise possessing several sets so as not to wear out one razor with constant manipulations.
Why is shaving so important?
As mentioned earlier, a dangerous razor is a vulnerable and sensitive device that can suffer from any mechanical impact. Therefore, the razor needs special care and careful use so that the blades remain sharp and capable as long as possible. A good dangerous razor will serve a man for more than a dozen years, during which the razor will need to be lubricated, ground and straightened.
Experts note that the metal of a dangerous razor needs rest. Therefore, it is not recommended to use a razor daily. You need to store metal in a place with a low percentage of humidity, the bathroom is absolutely not suitable for this. Humid air and frequent contact with water lead to oxidation of the metal and the appearance of rust. It is not recommended to drop the razor, as this violates the integrity of the blade.
Far from every man can sharpen a dangerous razor with his own hands, so often a valuable tool for shaving is handed over to masters for sharpening and editing. They know for sure with which belt and stone to restore the sharpness of the blade, on which side of the belt to control the razor, as well as how to align and adjust the appearance of the razor. The average man can also get used to such tasks if he follows the instructions clearly.
How to quickly grind on sandpaper
This material is quite popular among beginners. The principle is similar to using a belt. However, the correct grain of paper should be selected so as not to damage the thin blade. Sharpening angle must not exceed 30 °. The following devices are needed for the procedure:
- sandpaper or sandpaper
- water and a flat surface.
How to sharpen on shaving stones
This option is best provided to a specialist. At home, it is very difficult to choose the grain size of the stone. However, if the “caution” blade is damaged, you can try a stone block. In case of loose fit, the gun and supply on a flat surface, it is recommended to use a large abrasive. Leveling the surface of the blade and restoring sharpness on the stone involves the following manipulations:
- the stone is wetted with water,
- one hand holding a razor
- the second is clamped by the comb and end of the blade,
- the machine runs along the bar to the end,
- the second side flips and snuggles,
- repeated several times until defects are corrected.
Turning is carried out through the comb. This will not damage the appliance. Few people are able to sharpen the blade the first time. The stone should have the correct shape, a homogeneous structure of fine grain, without lumps and large inclusions. The ideal size of the bar is 50x150 cm. The grain size is from 4000 to 8000 microns.
Sharpening is considered an effective but expensive technology. To bring a dull razor in order, you need 2-3 bars. Experts recommend carrying out the procedure in specialized workshops.
On the belt
This method is the most common. Two types of belts can be used:
- with wooden handles.
The first is characterized by independent regulation of tension. Therefore, it is more in demand. The width of the belt should be such that the blade completely covers it. Belts with wooden handles are best used for beginners. The product is fixed and has a constant degree of tension.
How to edit concavity
Using belts of any type, a man himself can acquire skills on how to correct “apprehension” correctly. Step by step use:
- the blade is located wide side on the surface of the belt,
- with a small press, it is carried through it to the end,
- flips over the ridge and runs in the opposite direction.
The movements should be smooth, without sharp movements and strong pressure. This will prevent possible injuries and cuts, and also will not damage the integrity of the belt.
Do-it-yourself razor making
This is a rather complicated and laborious process. The machine can be made if there are the necessary materials and devices. So, these types of steel are used:
Otherwise, you will get a poor-quality handicraft machine.
Care and maintenance, storage rules
The device should be carefully stored and properly operated. The main factor is a minimum of moisture and contact with water. After use, gently wipe the razor with a soft cloth soaked in alcohol. Do not use hot water and acid-base solutions. Mechanical damage and falls are not allowed. Long-term storage involves treating the blade with paraffin oil.
Precautions and Possible Consequences
The first time the razor should be gently, smoothly and gently held on the skin to prevent damage. The device is used for the wet method. This prevents irritation, redness, and ingrowth. The main thing is not to drive the blade horizontally. In this case, it is better to stretch the skin a little. If sharpening is poor, concavities may appear on a thin blade. This will cause cuts and irritation.
- Dangerous razor - a device with a sharp blade to remove bristles on the face.
- Requires sharpening and straightening for effective and safe shaving.
- Sharpening removes the top layer of metal on the cutting element.
- Editing polishes bumps.
- The procedure can be carried out at home with certain skills and following the instructions.
- It is recommended to observe safety measures and storage rules.
- You can make a razor with your own hands only with high-quality steel and the necessary devices.
- For sharpening and dressing, a grindstone, belt, sandpaper or sandpaper is used. We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with this material.
See daily collections of the best cosmetics
Shaving machine Start and 4 similar razors for men of the old model
Tips from experienced professionals on how to properly shave an intimate area for a girl
Aggressiveness table for T-shaving machines - an overview of the 9 best shaving machines
How to prevent irritation and skin damage during depilation - how to shave